Thursday, April 28, 2011

Fava Bean Agnolotti with Curry Emulsion

The sweet potato agnolotti was one of the most delicious things i've made from The French Laundry Cookbook so far.  Given this, i've had high expectations for the remaining agnolotti recipes.  This did not disappoint.

First, let me mention: shelling fava beans is a gigantic pain in the you-know-what (i've been trying to curb my language, since toddler now repeats lots and lots of words.  The best when I told my husband about a dream where I was married to someone else, and I was cheating on that person with him, and it was "going on right under his nose" - and toddler points to his nose and yells "NOSE" then giggles.  Maybe you had to be there.)

What was I saying again?  Oh, yeah, fava beans.  You have to shell them once.  Then you have to peel this second skin off.  I got really really annoyed by how long this was taking, so I roped husband into helping.  This plus watching David Borneaz on my t.v. while the neverending shelling went on and on and on and on made the whole thing less painful.


Then I blanched the beans, pureed them with some mascarpone, bread crumbs, and a little stock in my food processor.

Pasta-rolling was significantly less eventful than my ravioli, thank goodness.  And the puree was finer than the agnolotti.  Both of which contributed to prettier-looking agnolotti.

See??  I could totally be the agnolotti-pincher at TFL.  This is probably all I am qualified to handle, but baby steps.

Curry-emulsion time.  It was pretty simple - toast the curry powder...


Add cream (and some other stuff from the looks of it?), and let simmer a bit

Then all done! 

They look a little sad and deflated... i'm thinking I need to make a thicker line for the filling next time.  They were yummy - light and refreshing, even with the curry sauce.  Amazingly, one of my guests could taste the mascarpone (well, he was like 'this has some sort of creamed-cheese in it, doesn't it?? - close enough in my book).  Husband was disappointed with the curry flavor.  It was admittedly a very delicate curry flavor, and he said that it "wasn't what he expected" from smelling the sauce.  I actually agree with that, but I still really liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment